Welcome to the Concord Point Lighthouse blog!

The Friends of Concord Point Lighthouse, Inc. is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the preservation and promotion of the historic Concord Point Lighthouse and Keeper's House in Havre de Grace, Maryland. Our members and volunteers have been "keeping the light" for thirty years. Contact us at 410-939-3213 or concordpointlighthouse@verizon.net.
Visit us on the web at www.concordpointlighthouse.org.

Monday, December 19, 2011

Did you know...


A small sampling of Dominik Sasim's collection
Did you know that one of our lapel pins is on its way to Warsaw, Poland right now to be included in a museum pin collection held by Mr. Dominik Sasim?  We were contacted by Mr. Sasim last week requesting a Concord Point Lighthouse pin to add to his collection and we happily sent him one along with our brochures.  I asked Mr. Sasim to give us a little information about his collection for the blog:

"I have been collecting lapel pins and badges from museums all over the world for over four years now.  My hobby began with the collection of post stamps together with my father. Later I switched to badges and label pins from various museums.  Now, after nearly four years of collecting I have managed to gather over 1500 of them, out of which 700 are of foreign origin. My collection expands mainly thanks to exchange with other collectors as well as via internet auctions. My friends and colleagues also remember my hobby and often bring these small souvenirs  for me from their domestic or international voyages. Additionally I often visit museums myself in search of new gadgets for my collection. With some of them I maintain contact relation.

The oldest and most valuable exhibit in my collection is the badge from the already nonexistent Museum of Archeology in Warsaw that dates back in 1933 and Mausoleum of Zwirko and Wigura in Cierlicko in 1935. I also possess rare exhibits from the most remote locations in the world, like for example, the ones from Dorothy G. Page Museum in Wasilla, Alaska, or from the Museum of Musical Instruments in Japan, or Museum at South Georgia Island near Antarctica and the Falkland Islands Museum. I also have pins with museums in Africa, North and South America, Australia and Asia. My favourite badge is the one from the Juna Museum of Earth from Szklarska Poreba in Poland as well as the badge representing Bluenose II Lunenburg schooner from the Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic in New Scotland. This is in fact only a start of a collection which I intend to systematically develop and expand with new exhibits!"

Thank you Mr. Sasim and we look forward to seeing your collection develop!

No comments:

Post a Comment